• Armor Class: 16 • Hit Points: 105 (14d8+42) • Speed: 30 ft.
• Saving Throws:
Con +8, Int +9, Wis +7 • Skills:
Arcana +9, History +9, Insight +7, Perception +7 • Condition Immunities:
charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned • Resistances:
cold, lightning, necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks • Senses:
darkvision 60 ft. • Languages:
Abyssal, Common, Infernal, Primordial, Thayan • Challenge:
13 (10000 XP)
• Source: tales from the yawning portal, page 244
• Undead Nature: A lich doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.
• Focused Conjuration: While Var is concentrating on a conjuration spell, his concentration can't be broken as a result of taking damage.
• Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Var fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead .
• Rejuvenation: If Var is destroyed but his phylactery remains intact, Var gains a new body in ldlO days, regaining all his hit points and becoming active again. The new body appears within 5 feet of the phylactery.
• Turn Resistance: Var has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead .
Var is a 12th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). He has the following wizard spells prepared:
• Paralyzing Touch: Melee Spell Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) cold damage. The target must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
• Benign Transposition: Var teleports up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space he can see. Alternatively, he can choose a space within range that is occupied by a Small or Medium creature. If that creature is willing, both creatures teleport, swapping places. Var can use this feature again only after he finishes a long rest or casts a conjuration spell of 1st level or higher.
Var can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Var regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
• Frightening Gaze (Costs 2 Actions): Var fixes his gaze on one creature he can see within 10 feet of him . The target must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or become frightened for 1 minute. The frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to Var's gaze for the next 24 hours.